Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Above My Head: Day 3 of 30 Days of Photographs III

Kayaking this past weekend brought back memories of the first time I tried plying the water by kayak.  It was with Number One Sister in Florida.  We'd gone to Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, (home of the mermaids,) in search of manatees. Vlad was around 12 at the time.

We each got our own kayak and set off down Weeki Wachee creek.  It wasn't long before we were all fumbling around, trying to avoid becoming entangled in the bushes at the side of the creek.  Frustrating enough on its own, without my sister adding these words of advice:

"Be careful.  You don't want to go near the overhanging branches because there might be poisonous snakes that lurk there, waiting to fall on you. Seriously, I'm not kidding."

Kayaking on Irondequoit Creek, sans snakes.

Great.  Thank you, Number One Sister.  Just what my child and I needed to hear.  Snakes above our heads, waiting to kill us.  To this day Vlad refuses to go kayaking again in Florida, thanks to his aunt.

Siblings... can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.  (Unless, of course, you manage to force their kayak into the bushes.)


* * * * * * * * * *

My blogging friends, Michael and Ziva are sponsoring another 30 Days of Photographs challenge.  This is their third version of the challenge and my first attempt to meet it. To see how others have responded to the prompts, check in with Ziva at 30 Days of Photographs III.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails