Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween Costumes

Enough of the scary stories already... I haven't slept a wink since I wrote my last two posts and I really need a good night's sleep. So I'm switching over to the topic of "Halloween Costumes" for today's Humor Bloggers Dot Com Halloween Humor Carnival entry. Not that the last two posts weren't humorous or anything... Geesh! Get with the program, CatLady!

Anyway, you may have heard me talk about Vlad when he was little and his propensity for being a train engineer for Halloween every year. That lasted until he was six. An easy fix for the costume... take what he wore every day and add a red bandana.

Then he actually went as a spider when he was 7... still not too taxing on my skills with haute couture. Buy a set of black sweats and sew on some cheesy fabric legs. No sweat!

However, the next year, he discovered the mysteries of locks and keys. This interest almost landed me in Mommy Jail, but I managed to escape being handcuffed to the bed before the Child Protective Services folks arrived to take me away for neglect. Hey, how did you expect me to watch the child while I was restrained?

So imagine my chagrin when Vlad informed me that he wanted to be a Master padlock for Halloween. Say, what? Hmmm..... this one was going to take some more work. He insisted on having a dial that turned and a hasp that opened. Good luck with that, little buddy!

But being a good mother, I persevered and I must say, the final result was a winner.....


Sadly, I couldn't get Vlad to model it for me in time for this post. Dang! Clever, though, wouldn't you say? Vlad helped writing in the numbers and the word "Master". Surprisingly, nobody else at school showed up in a padlock outfit that year, so it was a real hit!

Take that, stupid Power Rangers, witches and princesses! My kid's a padlock!



Now, go visit Humor Bloggers Dot Com to see who else has your Halloween funny today!

28 comments:

Indigo Roth said...

You are wonderfully indulgent. And just a tiiiiny bit weird!

Anonymous said...

That is a cool costume! We're talking about costumes today on my blog too.

Secretia

Moonrayvenne said...

You have a very original son. Good thing you're a crafty one! I love it!

The Peach Tart said...

That is rocking

Gone, long gone. said...

Pretty cool, nice work!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee.

The reason why CPS was called was not because of the costume Catlady. It was because you made him wear Tinky Winky purple tights underneath.

Now that, my catlady friend, is CRIMINAL!

Ha!

Moooooog35 said...

That costume could also double as 'marriage.'

Michelle H. said...

That is an amazingly clever idea!

Dr Max Tunguska said...

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I don't think it is strange at all. When I was a child I named my tortoise after the door knob. Knobby he was and still is.

nonamedufus said...

Ah, I think you've unlocked the magic of Halloween. *groan*

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Indigo: You mean you're just now figuring out that I'm a tiiiiny bit weird!

Secretia: I'll stop over to see what you're sporting today.

Collette: He's original, all right!

Peach Tart: Rockin' & Lockin' it!

Maelstrom: I have my moments.

Quirky: But the purple goes so well with the gray.

Moooooog: Next time you propose to Mrs. Moooooog, I'll loan you the Master Lock costume.

Michelle: My son has a rather clever mind... I just do the technical work.

idifficult: Knobby! I love it! Does your invisible zebra have a name?That must be why I feel an affinity with you. Our dog is actually named after a computer. (At school, they gave code names for all the computers using tree names. Hickory was the server and Vlad thought that since it was the most important computer, that's what we should name our dog... Hence, Hickory the Wonder Dog. The name has served him well. I'm sure he'd be fast friends with Knobby!)

Dufus: *groan* A costume that elicits a groan is the perfect kind.

Janice said...

That costume is pure genius!

Me-Me King said...

I don't blame you, if I made a friggin' padlock costume, I'd keep it on display in the living room too!

Unknown said...

I love it. You guys are awesome.

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Janice: Thanks!

Me-Me: I keep all my costumes in the living room... you never know when you might need one.

Summer: We're awesome in our own little world here!

Harlem's A Hatin said...

Such an awesome costume! You should post pictures of Vlad on Halloween for sure!

Brian Miller said...

what a cool costume! so creative!

happy tt!

ReformingGeek said...

I love the padlock costume. Hum....maybe that could be given to girls participating in the abstinence campaign.

Lee said...

I think that is a great costume. How in the heck did you make it??

e said...

What a clever idea! Happy TT.

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Hatin in Harlem: Maybe I can dig out some of the pics from when he was little & scan them.

Brian: Thank you!

Reffie: Yeah, it can be in lieu of a chastity belt!

Lee: Thanks... some closed cell foam, some stretchy fabric & some swearing.

e: Thanks... it was all Vlad's idea.

Mike said...

That is amazingly creative!!!

gayle said...

That's soo cute!! How old is your son now? Parents have it too easy now a days...with all the ready to wear costumes to choose from

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

That is the most unusual costume I've seen in a long, long time :-)

The Silver Fox said...

Amazingly creative. Talk about being up for a challenge!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Otin: So what kind of costume are you going to dig up with your back hoe today?

Gayle: The long suffering Vlad is now 22... and he still refused to follow popular culture for the most part!

Pat: Thanks for stopping by, Pat. My son is nothing if not unusual!

Silver Fox: I'm always up for a challenge... I absolutely hate sewing, except for when it comes to making costumes.

Eolist Petite said...

this is just far too close to home for me...

i love it!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Ms. Petite: Welcome to the funny farm!

Related Posts with Thumbnails