Saturday, February 15, 2014

On the Road with 30M2DoW: Episode 15

My ears are ringing.


Now that I had to leave Chez Dufus, you're probably wondering where I'll go next in my quest to avoid Nicky and the 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing challenge.  But you're going to have to wait a few days to find out as I'll be on the road.  What I can tell you is this...


I made it over the border by hitching a ride with the first vehicle that came by with a New York license plate.  It was a big rig out of Niagara Falls.  Beggars can't be choosers.  No telling where I'd end up.

As I hopped in the rig, the driver introduced himself.  "Pleased to meet you!  I'm Bud Boomer." He looked jovial enough.  Needless to say, when I told him my name, he burst out with a guffaw to rival that of Dufus. When he finally caught his breath he asked, "Where are you headed, Boom Boom?" (Convulsing into another fit of laughter.)

"Good question!," I said.  "I guess wherever the road takes me.  Preferably away from the snow." (And away from Nicky.)

"Then that's good enough for me!," said Bud, wiping the tears from his eyes. "I needed to get across the border anyway to pick up some decent beer.  All they have here is Molson and Labatt's."  *shudders*

Now, truth be told, I enjoy a good Canadian beer, but I wasn't about to get into a brawl over it and start an international incident with a compatriot.

And so we moved south.  I sat up front with Bud and Henry found a cozy spot in back. Bud was mightily impressed by the ax and was happy to let me stow it under the front seat.


12 hours and 680 miles later we were still in snow country.  How could that be?


But we picked up some American swill along the way and had a good time singing and telling jokes. By the end of the day my ears were ringing.  But by god, that Bud was an entertaining fellow!


To be continued...

* * * * * * * * *

Since I was on the road today, I'm a little late with this latest episode of "On the Road with 30M2DoW".  Hey... don't mock me.  Can I help it if I get carsick when I try to read or write in the car? Go on over to the cheese shop and check out who actually got something written early in the day.  I've got to get some shut eye before I hit the road again bright and early in the morning.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails