Friday, February 1, 2013

Cheesy in the 1950's (30 Minus 2 Days of Writing, Day 1: Cheesy)

I'm not known to be much of a gourmand.  I'm a child of the 50's.  It was a time when things seemed pretty simple.  Especially food.

The most common lunch at our house consisted of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.  The bread was fluffy white Wonder Bread, the cheese Velveeta and the soup Campbell's.  My mother was definitely not grooming her children for careers as chefs.  It was bland comfort food.  We'd eat our lunch and listen to Art Linkletter tell stories on the radio.  Simple stories, simple food, simple people.


Not much has changed over the years, although nowadays I make my grilled cheese with whole wheat bread and cheddar or swiss cheese.  I've acquired a bit more of a palate, but I still crave comfort food on a cold winter day.  I'm cheesy like that.

* * * * * * * *

Those cheese hounds, Nicky and Mike, over at We Work for Cheese came up with an idea for a series of writing prompts for February.  It's called 30 Minus 2 Days of Writing.  In a weak moment I said I'd participate... what was I thinking?  Here we go again...


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails