Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Adventures of Boom Boom Larew and Patti Poo Foo

Last week I regaled you with some bald faced lies.  Interspersed with the lies were a few truths.  I did, in fact, learn how to cook on a wood stove, but I never worked detassling corn.  (Hey, I don't like to sweat in the hot sun!)  My friend, Glennda, did come to Rochester to study at the Eastman School, but I did not.

However, I did once share the stage with Laura Nyro.  It was back at the University of Iowa, when some friends and I jumped up on the stage during her concert... I sat right next to the piano bench and it was magical evening, watching her face as she played.  Ms. Nyro was quite lovely and gracious about the entire thing... never complained at all when we joined her up close and personal.

And although my good friend, Susan, was arrested with the Top Free Seven, I was too much of a wuss to join her.  Besides, I'd already been in jail twice before and didn't need to go through all that hassle again.


Nonetheless, I did have a colorful career as a stripper in high school.  As a Roosevelt Rough Rider pom pom girl, (a "Riderette",) I tripped the light fantastic with the school band at football games.  One of the favorite tunes played by the band was David Rose's The Stripper.  My sister-out-law and I were quick to volunteer to dance to the tune, with our fellow Riderettes doing a Rockette style dance in the background.  We dubbed ourselves Boom Boom Larew and Patti Poo Foo. 


Yep, that's me out front doing my thing.  Poo Foo and I would throw away our pom poms, hats, gloves and Riderette vests.  Our big finish was mooning the crowd at the end... well, maybe not mooning, but bending over and flipping up our skirts to show our Roosevelt blue undies.   Through the fall of 1969, we entertained the masses.  After Patti Poo Foo graduated, I continued the tradition, but it just wasn't the same without her.  Good times!  Good times! 

So that's the scoop on my bald faced lies and honest truths.  Hope I didn't disappoint too much! I'll let David Rose and his band play me out on this one....

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails