Thursday, June 3, 2010

White Lies: Theme Thursday

This week the gang over at Theme Thursday chose "White" as the prompt du jour.  Pop over to see who else is playing.  You'll be glad you did!


White Lies

Admit it... we all lie sometimes.  Most of us stick to white lies.  But others tell whoppers.  Huge black lies.  Me, I don't lie well.*   Sometimes I wish I could.  Which is why most of the stuff I write about here at the Cat Lady's house has actually happened to me at one time or another.  

Vlad and I were just talking about lying the other night as we sat at Panera, relishing a glass of the goddess's finest nectar, Dr Pepper.  Vlad was contemplating making up a bunch of shit to talk about the next time he's introduced to someone.  His interests don't necessarily mesh with those of others his age, which sometimes makes it difficult for him to connect with the ladies.  (I swear he's an old soul.) But because he's my kid, I have a feeling the whole lying thing isn't going to pan out well for him.

My friend Nanodance is a wonderful liar and I mean that as a compliment.  She can have me believing shit in no time flat.  It's one of the things that makes her so delightful.  But she lies to amuse... not to be deceitful.  

White lies that deceive can become a bad habit that can quickly fade to black.  Before you know it, your lies can put you in deep shit. One of my favorite Carly Simon songs is In a Small Moment... the perfect song to serve as a cautionary tale about white lies. 


All of which reminds me of the prism in the photo for this week's prompt.  A prism takes white light and reveals the colors within.  White lies are fine... so long as nobody around you is looking at you through a prism.

Then all will be revealed.

I think I'd better stick with the truth... most of the time.

 * * * * * * *


*Some people mistakenly believe I lie very well.... as evidenced by my recent award from Nonamedufus.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails