Saturday, November 14, 2009

OMG! What Happened? Where Did She Go?

After being idle for four months, I started my new job this week. This cut way back on the time I had for my daily blogging regimen. Sacrifices had to be made in the pursuit of gainful employment. (Or at least that's the impression I was getting from my creditors.)

But what's this? Policemen at my door, making inquiries about a missing persons report? It appears several people became alarmed when they hadn't seen the CatLady for a few days.


Had she been away fighting Soft Drink Injustice? Was she buried under a pile of miscellaneous crap that finally became unbalanced? (We already knew for some time that she herself was unbalanced.) Did the Wonder Dog eat her out of boredom? Had she finally been hauled off to Mommy Jail? Was she engulfed in flames by fireworks mistakenly ignited inside the home? Had she been kidnapped and ransomed for her substantial weight in gold? Was she laying motionless at the bottom of the stairs after tripping over all the Dr Pepper empties? Did she finally just forget to get out of bed for five days straight?

The answer was "none of the above."

As the kind officers looked over my shoulder in disgust at the chaos within my home, I tried to explain that I just got busy trying to get settled into the new job. There hadn't been an awful lot of time for personal communications. That comes with the territory, I'm afraid, when you have an obsessive compulsive personality. You get kinda focused on one thing and soon the rest of the world has been blocked out momentarily.

Poor officers. They didn't understand how that could keep me out of communication with the world for so long. So, I carefully explained further how I had to venture into the scary attic to look for teaching materials long buried. I had to plumb the depths of the basement for games and toys and my collection of rubber sea creatures for our first theme. This takes time. It's not easy finding your way through those dark and dingy caverns.

I explained to the officers that I hadn't meant to alarm people. I simply made a basic tactical error. I neglected to notify my friends that I would be gone for a few days.

So, I apologize for upsetting all of you with my unannounced absence from the blogging world.

But, I also have to say... it heartens me to know that there are a few people who actually notice when I'm gone.

24 comments:

Me-Me King said...

Whew, I thought we were going to have to have you surgically removed from your bed. Good luck with your new job!

Unknown said...

I just discovered your site a few weeks ago & now you are my ultimate morning coffee entertainment. Can't lose you now. I say "Save the cat lady" For further comments call the 'morning humor hotline', in the phone book right next to the 'save the lava lamp for posterity' camapaign.

Best of luck in your new job.

ReformingGeek said...

I was just thinking about you and your virtual cat that makes rude comments. I luvs that kitteh.

Good luck with the job and I hope you get some time to post more funnies soon.

Janice said...

Rubber sea creature...I wanna be in YOUR class! Have fun at the new job.

Anonymous said...

Whew! It dawned on me that I hadn't "seen" you around lately.

I was worried that the cats finally gotcha!

Thank goodness I was wrong!

Write when you can!

Jayne Martin said...

So you didn't find the old, rich, impotent guy with a heart condition and no heirs either, huh? I feel your pain.

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Me-Me: Thank God the police got here in time!

darkwoodsfaerie: Save the Cat Lady and Lava Lamps! But then I might get distracted next by watching the lava swirl around in the lamp!

Reffie: Thanks for thinking of me and my little rude cat!

Janice: We're going to make an oil slick for the rubber sea creatures in the water table.

Quirky: I know... I was actually starting to go into withdrawl. Thank goodness for Saturday morning pajama day to catch up!

Jayne: Maybe if we find one we could share him... he'd be so old and doddering, he probably wouldn't notice!

nonamedufus said...

You took a high-paying, self-satisfying job over THIS?

Good on ya!

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Good luck with the new job! It's sweet of the friends to worry about you like that.... Now don't make it a habit and scare them again!

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

BTW - your blog gave me an enyma.
True story - that's the word verification I had for my last comment!!

The Old Silly said...

That was me. I file it ... the missing person report. How dare you just up and worry people like that? ;)

Marvin D Wilson

Jen said...

Sure getting paid is nice but what about us? You kinda have an obligation to keep us laughing. I mean you've been doing it for a while now and some of us count on you. I can't believe you would rather pay your bills, eat and have warmth over taking care of our needs. Whatever.

Harlem's A Hatin said...

I have the same problem, I find with work it is hard to find time to actually sit down and blog. I am gone all day long and then when I get home I just want to sit down on the couch and never move! Welcome back!

Mike said...

Glad that you cleared that up! I would hate you to have to change the title of your blog to "How to be a blog lady without blogging" hahaha!

Gone, long gone. said...

Things happen, people get busy, glad to see you're still around.

gayle said...

I would love to hear more about this new job of yours!!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Dufus: I don't know about the high paying part... I'm just figuring out how to fit everything in!

Not your Mom: An enyma, eh? Now THAT's scary!

Marvin: Thanks for sending over the local constabulary... it's nice to know I was missed!

Jen: So sorry... I'll try to do better in the future.

Hatin' Harlem: I guess the trick is to grab the laptop before you crash on the couch.

Otin: Great name for if I need to start a new blog to hide from my employers!

Maelstrom: Glad you're not too offended.

gayle: You will... you will!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're still with us. Did you at least put those police officers to work - recycling Dr Peppers empties, helping look for sea creatures?

Madame DeFarge said...

Glad you have a good excuse for your absence and nothing too trivial like a holiday or too much ironing.

Indigo Roth said...

Actually, I think in some states, mere possession of Dr. Pepper is an offence that gets you five to ten. Trust CatLady to be running a Speakeasy.

Congratulations on the new job, and on completing your first week; it's a huge thing for you to be back, messing with the heads of impressionable kids.

Send in the rubber sea monsters! And the chickens!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

kerrycharacters: I donated the empties to the Police Benevolent Organization and got a swell bumper sticker for my car.

Madame DeFarge: I used to own an iron...

Indigo: A DP Speakeasy! I could moonlight running one of those if my vast salary doesn't stretch enough to make ends meet. And you get the prize for guessing exactly what I'm going to do with the rubber sea monsters! I can really whip them into shape with those! (I'm not sure how soon I should subject them to the rubber chickens... perhaps I should save those for the REALLY naughty children.)

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

You don't have to apologize to me, Cat Lady. I've been having a lot of trouble with consistency lately, what with my wife's health problems, my employer wanting me to do some actual work, and my preference for taking long naps and doing nothing. But it is nice to have you back!

Nina said...

Good Luck on the new job! I know what you mean about finding time... I try to post once a week and following people.... well... I try to do that at least once a week as well... but with so many interesting folks such as yourself... Well... I'm glad you're not stuck in the litter or something... Work... and time flying... Those are OK... So now just remember the 3 B's: Balance, Bounce and Breathe.... and knowing how to Bob and Weave isn't bad either...(smiles) Love and Light, Nina P

Anonymous said...

Thank god, I thought the Pepsi police had got you. I remember a blogger disappeared after pulling the piss on red creaming soda . It's coming up to the third year anniversary of his disappearance, still no word :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails