Thursday, January 6, 2011

"You Could Do ANYTHING In That Hat!"

Although I've been basically home-bound for the past three months while my broken leg mends, I haven't been totally unproductive.  In order to keep my hands busy with something other than shoveling food into my mouth as I relax in my recliner, I decided to break out the old knitting needles.  Knitting is especially satisfying in the winter months when that afghan you are working on keeps your legs warm as you work.  (Note:  It also makes you look even more of an invalid.)

Most of the stuff I do is pretty mindless, requiring very few brain cells.  Knit, purl, knit, purl, etc., etc., until you run out of yarn.  However, my sister threw down the knitting gauntlet, which I picked up with only a tad bit of fear and trepidation.  Sending me a picture of a hat my niece, Ilsa, was coveting, I pondered how to create such a masterpiece of fiber.  Without any instructions on how to proceed, (other than the fact that Ilsa's head measures 21 inches,) I had my chauffeur take me to the yarn store to search for something that might work. 

Even though I had to rip it out five times before I got the gauge and shape corrected to my satisfaction, I completed the project and actually got it mailed it in time for the recent holiday celebrations.  (A major miracle as I'm not generally known for sending gifts, let alone sending them on time.)  And, for once, I even won the "Best Aunt" honors for my efforts.

Since then, Ilsa has gotten many compliments comments on the hat.  Some guy even went up to her in the Tampa airport and told her,  
"That's a great hat!  You could do anything in that hat!"  

I wonder what he meant by that?  And I bet you're wondering what the hell kind of hat would elicit that response.  Well, wonder no longer...

"Ja, jag är svensk, varför frågar du?"

So, the question remains... What would you do in that hat?
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails