Monday, October 4, 2010

Burning the Midnight Oil: A Magpie Tale


Whatcha doin' grandpa? 

Just burning the midnight oil.

What do you mean?  It's not that late.  Why are you burning oil? 

It's just an expression we used to use when I was your age.  It means working late into the night.

But why oil?

Because before we had electricity, we used oil lamps in this old farmhouse.

Oh, you mean back in the olden days.

Yep, I guess so...

You really are old grandpa, aren't you?

Ah, my lovely, you have no idea.

Do you still have the oil lamp?

Sure do!  It's over in the cupboard.

Can we get it out?

You bet.

Grandpa?

What, dear?

I like burning the midnight oil with you.

I can't think of anyone else I'd rather burn it with.  Come on now, let's tuck you into bed.  It's late.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Willow over at Life at Willow Manor  has been providing inspiration for bloggers with her photo prompts on a site called Magpie Tales.  Be sure to check out the other fabulous writers participating in Magpie Tales this week.  You'll be glad you did!
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails